Or in this case, the comeback sneaker. Now that $600+ hidden wedge sneakers are all the rage, my wallet and vanity have directed me back to the way of Vans. Mind you, I’m wholly aware that even Vans now have a price tag of $300+, but not if you, like me, rather enjoy kicking it old school. I’m talking back when Tony Hawk was still cool before all that shit came out with him cheating on his wife and all. Not cool Tony, not cool. The classic checkered Vans however are pretty rad. And what’s spring anyway without graphic black and white prints?? I kick around in these bad boys wearing everything from pouffy dresses to cut-off jorts, and even skinny jeans (ahem Uniqlo makes the best). I seriously doubt Tony Hawk is going to make an epic comeback (at least he’s not in the doghouse like that douche Lance), but the sneakers stand a chance. How do you style your kicks??
I imagine most people don’t have the budget for Isabel Marant, Laurent, Chanel and the like. I certainly don’t. Sadly though I’m cursed with a deep love for all things couture, luxe, and high fashion. It’s a shame to have champagne taste and a PBR sort of budget, but alas, such is life.
In an era in which we are inundated with fashion though, it’s inevitable that even the most sought after, high end item is going to be replicated. Here is where the fashion mecca Zara comes into play. Sweet lord they make some bad ass knock-offs…and in a lot of cases, they do it better than the original. You want to excommunicate me now? Fine. So be it, but let me at least take my awesome, fraction of the price, designer knock-offs with me.
In one more ode to the knock-off, Forever 21 is batting a thousand this season. No joke they’ve got some pieces that kind of actually put Isabel to shame. God don’t quote me on that, or maybe do. Hell, go for it. Why? Because this is some good shit lollipop! I’m actually dying to get this one embroidered shirt, and it’s a grand total of $24.00 Yes, yes I will be purchasing it quite soon thank you very much.
And seriously, can we all just agree that the pictured Zara outfit is beautiful? Throw a jean jacket over that and BAM! Gotta get those shorts…
MAdewell just made well. Wait, huh? They made me feel well I mean. Why? Because ladies and gents today begins the additional 30% off sale SALE! A sale so good it makes you want to slap yo’ mama. Why you would want to do that though is beyond me. I’m actually quite fond of my mom and would never want to hurt her, much less slap her.
Back to Madewell. I for one am a huge fan of their t-shirts and tank tops. Good quality, long, and the shapes don’t get all out of whack. Granted, I’m 5’9″ and usually wear a X-small or small in most shirts, but here lately I’ve been going up a size or two. For one thing I like the slouchy look, but for another, I like my wrists to actually be covered by shirts that are supposed to be long sleeve. The same theory applies to my navel. I’m not one for revealing it to just anyone so I like my shirts to cover it. So there.
Now while you’re checking out all that Madewell has going on, wander on over to Uniqlo too. There is some GOOD stuff on sale there right now! Hell, even not on sale they have the best prices around. Currently I’m eyeing several of the men’s button up shirts, some slouchy linen shorts, and a puffy dress. I think the grand total of 3 items may be $100…maybe. And hey, if you rack up that much you get free shipping. Win-Win!
Anyway, let’s talk about Stella & Dot. Why? Well because I want to and I’m wearing this pretty fly gold cuff right now that I think everyone with a brain should own. Maybe not everyone. I think the sartorial flair might be lost on people like say…my brother. Now for all the ladies though…get you and your sassy pants right on over and check out my friend Joy’s page: http://www.stelladot.com/joyjohnson She’s the coolest for one thing and for another, a white t-shirt just looks way more awesome with some snazzy jewels.
The bracelet I’m wearing today is here
Host a party and you too can be the proud owner of this piece of finery at 50% off the retail price. Not too shabby eh?
I’m also wearing this garishly large necklace I got a while ago at Anthropologie. A similar can be found here:http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopsale-jewelryaccessories/26823302.jsp
The only difference is that mine has this (un)strategically placed disco ball hanging from one side.
Pile all that shit on and my t-shirt (dress in this case) is way less boring. Dannijo (www.dannijo.com) has some amazing pieces too, but not nearly as affordable as Stella & Dot or Anthropologie. I have to hand it to Mary Suki as well. Her jewelry is gorgeous. I will have her gold cuff one day. But to be honest, I’ve found some real gems (pun totally intended) at H&M and Forever 21 as well. Any one else have great recommendations for some affordable flair?
Spring is coming…I swear. In fact, I’m fairly certain it has already come, yet days like today lead one to wonder. That’s a bit of an elusive sentence eh? Wonder what you may ask? A lot of things actually, but I digress.
Today it’s a chilly 64 degrees out, overcast, and a bit windy. For the record, I firmly believe that a good meteorologist ought to include a portion of his/her forecast dedicated to what sort of attire is appropriate for the day. For example, on a brisk windy day, for girls like me who have a proclivity toward wearing pouffy skirts and dresses it would be nice to know before I leave my house and my aforementioned skirt blows over my head that perhaps it wasn’t a great option for that specific day in the first place.
At any rate, today I’ve layered up in a comfy black knit dress with one of those sort of weird, billowy, mullet hemlines. Over that I’m sporting an unusually dainty cardigan that also has a sort of bizarre hemline and the front is crocheted-sort of a throwback to my hippie days in high school I guess. Anyway, over that I decided a dose of denim always makes everything better and threw on a denim jacket I’ve owned literally for at least ten years. Then I capped it off with an incredibly classic trench coat. Finishing touches? Absurdly tall wedge heels-orange strappy with a snake print linen wedge that I’m pretty sure I bought at TJ Maxx around the same time I got the jean jacket. Then I have on this ridiculous, huge necklace from Anthropologie (similar to the one in the picture below) and a gold cuff a la Stella & Dot. Total outfit cost…I’d guess it’s easily under $250, and nearly half of that is the bracelet, which is $98 but I got for only $50.
Remember down there in sale I was raving about H&M’s collaboration with Maison Martin Margiela? Well today’s outfit is 2/3 from that collection. I’ve got on that savvy deconstructed jacket and the hitched up skirt along with a pair of those J.Crew sale shoes I mentioned earlier too. And yes, I’m fully aware that I don’t match perfectly, but that’s where my lack of concern plays in. I want to know how you guys would pair these pieces though. Comments!
I’m not one of those girls who pays full price for much of anything. I just can’t see the point unless it’s something a. that I absolutely cannot live without, and b. is also reasonably priced to begin with. That being said, even though here in Atlanta we’re still awaiting the arrival of winter, the stores have moved on to spring and it’s end of season sale time EVERYWHERE!!! Here are a few, in my opinion, notable stores to check out.
1. Cole Haan-most comfortable shoes ever. And hey a ton of their killer shoes, boots, and bags are as much as 70% off
2. H&M-I’m usually kind of ambiguous toward this mecca of designer knock-offs, but this winter they joined forces with Maison Martin Margiela, and that was a stroke of genius friends. And now all that cool shit is on sale! I’m talking $15-20 for items that were originally marked $129-199. Do yourself a favor and go pick up one of their deconstructed jackets. You’ll thank me later
3. Ann Taylor-yeah I know it’s kind of boring, but a good basic is often the key to any truly fantastic outfit. From what I hear it’s 60% off today.
4. Zara-another God send to the fashion forward with a limited budget. They have some great blazers and blouses now marked down significantly. I scored a black tuxedo and jacket and sequined, yes sequined all over, silk tuxedo jacket for a whopping $100! My advice? Go to Zara, and go now.
5. J.Crew/Madewell-love their clothes, but since Jenna Lyon’s took over, the quality, and therefore the price point, have increased significantly. However, they do offer a pretty killer sale. Right now in stores it’s 50% of the lowest marked price…hence my new collection of shoes from there. (see “Vices”) The last I heard our beloved Madewell, the slightly less expensive but still equally awesome little sister of J.Crew, is offering 40% off their marked down prices.
6. Gap-some of my favorite t-shirts…soft, long enough for those of us who are not of average height, bliss. Pretty sure the super sale is still happening and you can pick up a bag of fun for 40% off the sale price. Chances are this rule, or one similar to it, applies to Banana Republic too since generally what’s good for one seems to be good for the other.
http://www.gap.com http://www.bananarepublic.com http://www.piperlime.com
7. Neiman Marcus-yep, that Neiman Marcus…the land of beautiful, wearable art. Remember they teamed up with Target at Christmas? All that stuff flew off the shelves after they marked it down to 75% off the original price. However, if you’re still pining away for one of those Marc Jacobs leather pouches or a Rodarte party dress, wander on over to Neiman’s where you’ll find a full supply of all that they offered at Target marked down to 75% off. Besides, who doesn’t need a faux fur vest?
Anyone else know of any great sales at the moment???